Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day 300! When you're done

A scene from a Canadian classroom:

Teacher: "When you're done your worksheet, we'll take it up and then you'll write your exam"

Translation: "When you have finished your worksheet, we'll go over it as a class and then you'll take the test".

Canadian use "done" in a strange way.  Here are more examples:

When are you done university?
I'm done school, now I can get a job.
I'm done my dinner, can I go outside?
When you're done this one, move on to the next one.

I can see where it would work, such as "She's done (she has done) her project" but "I am done my project" just sounds weird to me.

1 comment:

  1. We'll see if you and your family are talking this way when you return. Its hard not to parrot those around you..... Aye?

    ReplyDelete