Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 134: Free Spirit


This is my bike, purchased for $19.99 at Value Village thrift store.
It's no Sledgehammer - no shocks or pegs - it's a made-in-Canada 5 speed 'Free Spirit.'
And no I won't pull you into town. Gosh.
Since my truck was stolen several weeks ago, this bike and I have become good friends.
Mainly because we are paying for my gym membership and the best time to go to the gym is in the morning when the good classes happen. So out of necessity, I ride the Free Spirit. (5K round trip)
If it is absolutely necessary that I go to the store during the day, I ride there. BUT riding a bike with grocery bags is no good, so I usually wait for Nick and the car to get home.
It's good right now, the weather is nice. Hopefully before winter comes I'll have a vehicle.
But for now, I have found that being without a car truly makes you a free spirit. Gas is $1.00/liter right now, so it's nice not to fill up a Suburban. I can ride as fast or slow as I want. I can usually find a really great place to park. Canadians are super polite and willing to share the road.
When the kids ask if we can go to the ____ and buy ____, I say  "Sure! You want to ride there with me?"

Not to mention the wind in my hair, the sun on my face, and pretending driveways are sweet jumps.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on those sweet jumps! Your bike looks fun.

    ReplyDelete