Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day 107: Show some hustle!

I grew up in Utah where I didn't think people were in a hurry, but something we have noticed about Canadians is they don't seem to be in a rush. Ever.
I should think that with all the coffee that is consumed in Canada, people would show a little more hustle.

When I visited the east coast of the US with my friend Kazzy last summer, she taught us the fine art of...promptness? Or haste?
Think the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld.

Not that it's a bad thing to be a relaxed and in no hurry, but when you're in the left turn lane and the arrow turns green, to me that means GO! We were a couple cars back when the green arrow appeared, and the first fella in line just sat there. Sure, that has happened to me - not paying attention - but at home this causes a cacophony of horns which instantly makes you step on the gas. No horns for this guy. Everyone sat patiently till he was good and ready to turn left. This has honestly happened to me here more than once.

And service in restaurants? Forget about it. They'll fill your water glass when they get around to it.

Another thing that is bugging me is the odd times that places close. The mall closes at 6:00 on Saturday night!?
The library closes at 5PM Friday and Saturday. Most stores close around 8PM. Boo!

Those are all the complaints I have today. Thanks :)

3 comments:

  1. I observed the same thing about the service in Brantford when we moved here from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) 5 years ago. We found that the service was definitely not as efficient, but we found that in general it was friendlier than in the "big cities".
    Having done a fair number of road trips in the US, I have to admit that customer service in general is better in your fair country. It's one of the reasons that a visit to a Cracker Barrel once a day was mandatory every day we were on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those really are early closing times. It makes UT sound like Washington DC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I love Canada- good people there. They are just real chill- but yeah, I'm a night owl, and I love to hit the stores at like 8pm!

    ReplyDelete