Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 235: Give Thanks

From Wikipedia:

Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day, occurring on the second Monday in October, is an annual Canadian holiday to give thanks at the close of the harvest season.
Although the original act of Parliament references God and the holiday is celebrated in churches, the holiday is now mostly celebrated in a secular manner.
On January 31, 1957, the Canadian Parliament proclaimed:
A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October.
Canadian Thanksgiving coincides with Columbus Day in the United States and the Dia de la Raza in most of Latin America.

This was a very anti-climactic holiday for me. We went through the motions - made the proper foods in excessive amounts, but my heart wasn't in it. It just didn't feel "Thanksgiving-y."
Was it the lack of extended family around us, no four day weekend? Maybe it was the lack of football games - on TV or in the yard,  no commando early morning shopping trip, or maybe it was because there were no children with Pilgrim hats and Indian headdresses.

Image courtesy of Google
I did attempt to make my mom's signature holiday Jello dish. I almost got it right, but not quite!

Don't think I'm not thankful, though. I am. Quite. I'm thankful that we were able to spend the day with our little family around us, thankful that we even have food on our table, and thankful that we get to do it again.
In November like it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment