Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 83: Bureau de poste and 'Oh Canada'

Here we are at the Post Office. I get very nervous about this place because I still don't know how much a stamp costs...I have not bothered to check into it (and it looks so intimidating with those lions in front) When I need to mail something, I thrust the items at the Post Office person and ask "How much to send these?" They usually take pity on me because I am obviously a foreigner. They stick on the stamps and I hand them money.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I heard an interesting fact on the news today - only 67 percent of Canadian High School students know the lyrics to the Canadian National Anthem.
That is surprising to me because it's a pretty simple (yet beautiful) song, unlike the American National Anthem which gets butchered over and over. Plus they sing it every day in school.
I am pleased to say that my kids have mastered 'Oh, Canada' and regularly march around the house singing it at the top of their lungs.

And now for your enjoyment:

2 comments:

  1. I just sang along with the video! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our national anthem, but it *is* tricksy. This is the first time I've read all the words to Oh, Canada. Cool!

    And good for your kids, putting all those Canadian high schoolers to shame by learning the song in a few short months. :)

    ReplyDelete